Royston Evangelical Church
Welcome! We are Royston Evangelical Church.
We are an independent Bible-believing church in Royston, affiliated to the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches (FIEC). We have been meeting since 1980.
We are a group of about 60 people who live locally. Many of us are at different stages of the Christian life. Many of us are committed Christians, who have decided to trust in King Jesus and follow him. Some of us are exploring what that means. Others are at the start of the journey of finding out about Jesus.
Whatever stage you’re at, we’d love to help you.
We would love to meet you, and hope you’ll find a very warm welcome.
For latest updates on what's going on, you can check our facebook page.
Our leaders include our Pastor, Jonathan Scott, and three elders:
Jonathan Scott – Pastor
Jonathan became the Pastor of Royston Evangelical Church in September 2013. He’s married to Jo and they were previously members of St Neot’s Evangelical Church. They have two young children. Jonathan is a qualified accountant and a keen model railway enthusiast.
Frank Pearson - Elder
Frank has been at Royston Evangelical Church since 1997. He became an Elder in 2001. Frank is married to Margaret and they have four children. He is retired and grows Jerusalem artichokes in his vegetable patch.
Mark Scorer – Elder
Mark has been at Royston Evangelical Church since 1997. He became an Elder in the mid 2000s. Mark is married to Zillah and is a nurse at Lister hospital in Stevenage. He plays the violin, often in the music group on Sundays.
Jason Smith – Elder
Jason has been at Royston Evangelical Church since 2012. He became an Elder in 2017. Jason is married to Trudi and they have two children. He is an IT consultant and has all the gadgets. He also enjoys tinkering with cars and DIY.
We are an Evangelical Church.
The word Evangelical comes from a Greek word meaning 'gospel'. The gospel is the good news about Jesus Christ, found in the Bible. This news shapes who we are and what we do.
A church is not a building, it's a family of people who are committed to the Lord Jesus and committed to one another.
We hold to the following historic Christian beliefs:
- We believe the Bible is God's complete and final revelation of His will to man. Therefore, we want to trust and obey what is revealed in the Bible.
- We believe in one God who exists as three distinct persons. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe the Son of God came to earth, became a man and was called Jesus.
- We believe all have sinned and are in need of salvation.
- We believe Jesus is God and the the only way of salvation.
- We believe Jesus died on the cross and on the third day physically rose from the dead by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe we are justfied (made right with God) by faith alone.
- We believe Jesus will one day return to judge all mankind.
- We believe those who receive Jesus as Lord and Saviour will enjoy spending eternity with God.
- We believe those who refuse to worship Jesus as Lord and Saviour will spend eternity suffering punishment in Hell.